Saturday, September 21, 2013

Matthew the tax collector

Today we celebrate this great evangelist...follower of Jesus.  I still never cease to be amazed how this hated man....because of what he did...collect taxes...and the deceit that was involved with that job...how when Jesus comes by and calls him to "FOLLOW ME"---the Scripture says that Matthew actually LEFT his post (and the money he had collected that day???) and FOLLOWED JESUS!!!!  How truly marvelous!

What kind of a person was Jesus?  Talk about charisma!  That a simple invitation to join him was sufficient for Matthew to leave his post and "follow" Jesus.  You recall that the same thing happened to the brothers who were out fishing with their father....cleaning the nets....getting ready to fish.  Jesus comes by, non-chalantly (I imagine) invites the two brothers to "FOLLOW ME"...they not only left their nets, but their father....and went off after Jesus!!!

I am looking forward to eternity to check them out.  What a call!  What a caller! 

Compare Matthew and the two brothers to us!!!  I, for one, do not compare.  My response to the Lord's invitation to "whatever" takes me time.  I have to "discern".  I have to turn it over and over.  Answer all the ?'s.

How about you?  How are you at responding to the Lord's daily calls?  Or suppose, more seriously, the Lord is calling you to the consecrated life....oh gracious! NOT ME!!!  may be your first response...and my question to you is:  Why not you?  Look at who and what Matthew was...and Jesus chose HIM!!!  Do not belittle yourself....you are worth it!

No comments:

Post a Comment