Saturday, January 12, 2013

National Vocaton Awareness Week

This is the week to be "aware of vocations".   I was in vocation ministry for years and observed "vocation awareness week" myriad times.  Yet for some odd reason this is the first time that "VOCATION AWARENSS WEEK" strikes me as ridiculous  To be "aware" of vocations. 

Vocations surround us. We are more than AWARE.  The married, the single, the priest, the nun. We are aware of them daily, at least of some.

We define a vocation as a calling, a call from God, a way of life, a way of living.  Something we are called to BE.  The job is the call to DO.

It has always amazed me how much time and money we spend on deciding and preparing for what we will DO when we grow up, but not that much attention, preparing, thinking and planning on what will I BE?  It seems to me this is backwards.

Coming to know God's call takes much prayer and discerning.  Finding my purpose for BEING is serious business.  No wonder it takes much prayer and discerning.

If you are searching for where God wants you, reflecting on the following questions may help.
1.   Which of these vocations carries a strong attraction for me?
2.   How do I feel when I envision myself living the single life, married, as a priest, living the
      consecrated life (a religious sister/brother)?
3.   Which life offers me the most possibilities to become the best me I can be?
4.   In which one would I be most happy and feel most fulfilled?
5.   In which one could I utilize my giftedness best?

Bring God into your reflection....listen with an open heart....with whom might you talk this over?

It's truly worth the time!  I wish you the wisdom of the Spirit.

No comments:

Post a Comment