Sunday, December 7, 2014

Wonders

Yes, I am still singing the wonders of our temps...thank you, God, again for keeping the cccooolllddd far from here for a long while yet....I hope and pray, but knowing Wisconsin....it will be here sooner than I want....although as I look out my window I see the trees swinging which means there is a breeze....and I'm sure it's not a mellow one.

Anyway to my favorite topic at this time:  ADVENT.  Second Sunday today.  We had a wonderful homily on PATIENCE...something I need greatly.  Have never been a patient person.  I want everything to go JUST right...as I...I...I want it and right now.

Fr. noted three helps:  slow down, watch your expectations, and let go.  Told myself to try them.

Then, for our reading, we had John the Baptist.  My reflection book has a really good idea: 
"Perhaps before looking into the manger (or to the commercials, decoration, gift-buying, etc.) we need to listen to John....who emphatically tells us to repent, which is one of those religious words we might miss.  Yet it is simple (and challenging): an "about face."  We turn away and turn toward something new...

The message of Advent invites us to ask ourselves: Have I gone deep enough?  Am I just living on the surface?  Does the busyness of Christmas preparations disrupt time for prayer, for deepening my relationship with Jesus?  Is my pre-Christmas calendar so full that there is no time for the people in my life, no time for caring for those who are hurting?"

The author then suggests that we place a picture of a traffic turn-around sign on our fridge or com-
puter screen...suggesting we look at where we might do an "about-face" turnaround, these Advent days.

Quite the challenges these days.  Let's wish each other luck and ADVENT BLESSINGS..........

No comments:

Post a Comment