Monday, December 24, 2012

Our anticipation is over....

This is December 24, 7:40....the holy night is here.  In a couple hours I will be on my way to midnight Mass....yes, midnight Mass...an almost extinct phenomenon!

I love midnight Mass.  It brings back such wonderful memories of my childhood.  Being awakened in the middle of the night.  Dressed in Christmas best. My long braids tied with red ribbons.  And up the hill we went to join the townsfolk.  Walking amid the luminarios. 

A packed church.  A night of Spanish and English carols.  Back home to eat tamales and do more singing and finally to bed.

This is the night of memories.  Of remembering a tiny babe's birth.  A teenage mother in a strange country, in a stable, yet, what joy!

This is the night when "the eternal Word will leap from heaven to make his home among us. (Wisdom 18:14-15).  Let's allow the Lord to continue to build his home, his dwelling in our hearts.
Emmanuel....God with us.  Not only with us, but within us!  What a Christmas gift!

I wish you a MERRY CHRISTMAS...may you be blessed with all the special blessings of this holy season!

No comments:

Post a Comment