Sunday, July 15, 2012

Returned.....

I have been away since June 24th. Out West...visiting family in Colorado and giving a retreat in Abiquiu, NM. One of my seminary students (now an ordained priest) from Sacred Heart School of Theology requested I do a retreat for his SEVEN parishes....imagine being a pastor of SEVEN parishes! Abiquiu,NM! Never heard of it. So WHERE is Abiquiu? My brother "found" it and WHAT BEAUTY! The surrounding tree mountains, red rock mountains, Abiuiu Lake, the Chama River. I was absolutely in AWE. I took a few personal prayer days at the Chirst in the Desert Monastery near by and my drive there was absolutely wonderful....cannot even find an adjective to describe it. Surrounded by COLORFUL red rock mountains...the rock formations! At one point I just stopped, breathless and cried outloud: GOD,HOW COULD YOU CREATE SUCH MAJESTY, SUCH BEAUTY! My days at the monastery were like stepping back to my formation days in terms of the silence, the type of prayer (chanting the Hours...Matins, Lauds, Prime Terce, Sext, None, Vespers, Compline). Our rooms had no electricity, the bed was a cement block protruding from the wall....we even had rattle snakes! Praise God, I never heard a rattle! My time there was an accident, not planned...rather it was a Godcident! A real blessing for which I am MOST grateful. If you ever are planning a vacation....I strongly encourage you to think Abiquiu!

No comments:

Post a Comment